Among the useful resources for ID Theft protection, we have found the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) to be helpful.
Here’s a handy list compiled on their website with best practices regarding ID Theft:
• Ensure websites are secure prior to submitting your credit card number.
• Do your homework to ensure the business or website is legitimate.
• Attempt to obtain a physical address, rather than a P.O. box or maildrop.
• Never throw away credit card or bank statements in usable form.
• Be aware of missed bills which could indicate your account has been taken over.
• Be cautious of scams requiring you to provide your personal information.
• Never give your credit card number over the phone unless you make the call.
• Monitor your credit statements monthly for any fraudulent activity.
• Report unauthorized transactions to your bank or credit card company as soon as possible.
• Review a copy of your credit report at least once a year
Taking proactive measures go a long way to helping avoid becoming a victim of this frustrating and possibly expensive crime.
For more information, please visit www.hvshred.com